Dr. Rahul K. Thakkur
About Dr. Rahul K. Thakkur
Consultant; Maxillofacial, Plastic Surgeon and Oral Oncologist[email protected]
He is the one of the most respected Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in Western India. He has the reputation of being an extremely artistic, innovative and dexterous surgeon and has been trained at the best centers of the country with stalwarts in Maxillofacial, Plastic Surgery and Head Neck oncology. He has done postgraduation from Davangere and has been awarded as the best postgraduate student. He later did exhaustive further training in Head Neck Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery from Tata Memorial Hospital and KEM Hospital, Mumbai. He is also an enthusiastic teacher and is the Head of Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at M P Dental College, Vadodara and has inspired many young graduates. He is a master craftsman and is known for precise diagnosis and an honest ethical practice. He has been an invited speaker at numerous State and National conferences in the fields of Maxillofacial surgery, ENT and Head Neck Oncology. His practice encompasses the entire spectrum of Oral, Maxillofacial, Plastic Surgery and Head Neck Oncology with an extremely high rate of success and patient satisfaction.
Degrees and Education
MDS (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)
Facial Plastic Surgery
Cosmetic Jaw-Facial Surgery
About 16 years of experience in Oral, Maxillofacial, Plastic Surgery and Head Neck Oncology field. Worked for 3 years at Tata Memorial Hospital and KEM Hospital in the Department of Head Neck Oncology and Plastic Surgery respectively.
He is also a mentor and runs fellowship programme for young Maxillofacial Surgeons to get further trained in Cranio-Maxillofacial Trauma. This fellowship programme is recognized and awarded by AOMSI (Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India).
Papers and Posters Presented
- Dec 1998. Presented a paper on “Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma – a case report” at the deliberations of the first annual workshop on Surgical Pathology, Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere.
- Jan 1999. Presented a poster of “Mandibular reconstruction by bicortical iliac crest graft” at the 24th National Conference of the Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Kochi.
- March 2002. Presented a paper on “Cleft of lower lip and mandible” at the International update of Cleft and Craniofacial Surgery, Mumbai.
- Oct 2004. Presented a paper on “Maxillofacial fractures : current trends in Management” at the 28th Annual Conference of Association of Otolaryngologists of India Gujarat State Branch.
- Nov 2004. Presented a paper on “Transfacial approach to skull base” at the 29th Annual Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Nagpur.
- Nov 2005. Presented a paper on “Clear cell carcinoma of the mandible – a case report.” at the 30th Annual Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Jaipur.
- Nov 2008. Presented a paper on “Pseudoaneurysms of Maxillofacial region” at the 33rd Annual Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Lucknow.
Invited Speaker at State or National Level
1. Dec 2002. Lecture on Maxillofacial Surgery at 34th Gujarat State Annual Conference I.D.A at Vadodara.
2. March 2007. Lecture on Advances in Interactive Maxillofacial Surgery at the First Binnual Gujarat Orthodontic Study Group Meeting and Interdisciplinary CDE programme.
3. Oct 2008. Lecture on “Esthetic Orthognathic Surgery” at 32nd Annual Conference of Association of Otolaryngologists of India Gujarat State Branch.
4. August 2009. Lecture on Infection Control. 1st CDE of Bharuch IDA branch.
5. December 2010. Lecture on “Orbital trauma reconstruction. Dilemmas in approach as well as reconstruction material”. 35th National Conference of the Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India at Coimbatore.
6. Feb 2011. Master’s Video presentation on “Oral Submucous Fibrosis Surgery” at 4th Annual Conference of Gujarat State Head and Neck Oncology Society.
7. May 2011. Lecture on “Minor oral surgery”. CDE of IDA Surat branch.
8. June 2011. Lecture on “Orbital trauma”. 17th Mid-term conference of Associatoin of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India at Kodiakanal.
9. Nov 2012. Lecture on “Surgical management of Oral submuous fibrosis”. 37th Annual Conference of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons of India at Hyderabad.
10. Nov 2012. Lecture on “Oral Cancer”. 2nd Annual Conference of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India, Gujarat chapter
11. Sep 2013. Lecture on “Reconstruction in Maxillofacial Surgery”. 3rd Annual Conference of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India (Gujarat chapter) at Udaipur, Rajasthan.
12. Feb 2014. Lecture on “Emergencies in dental practice”. At K.M Shah Dental College and Hospital, Waghodia.
13. April 2014. Head and Neck Surgery update, Kailash Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Goraj. Demonstration of “Surgery for Oral Submucous Fibrosis”.
14. Sep 2014. Lecture on “Wisdom about wisdom tooth surgery”. 3rd Annual Conference of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India (Gujarat chapter) at Silvassa.
15. Sep 2014. Oral Submucous fibrosis surgery – a Maxillofacial Surgeon’s perspective. 14th National Conference of FHNO at Chandigarh.
16. Nov 2014. Chaired a scientific session at 39th National Conference of Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons of India at Goa.
17. Nov 2015. Lecture on “Salivary gland neoplasms”. 40th National Conference of Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India at Chandigarh.
18. March 2016. Moderated a session on “Oral Cancer” and delivered a lecture on “Safety Margins in Oral Cancer” at Western Regional Course – Oral Cancers AOMSI Gujarat State Chapter and FHNO
- Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery 2004; Vol 37 Issue 1 Page 67-70 “Median Cleft of mandible and lower lip with ankyloglossia and ectopic minor salivary gland on tongue”
- Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery. Aug 2011 “Traumatic Internal Maxillary Artery Pseudoaneurysm with a Malunited Mandibular Fracture”.
- BUJOD May 2013 Vol.3 Issue 2 May 2013. Anueursymal Bone Cyst of the Mandible
- Contemp Clin Dent 2013 Oct-Dec. 4 (4) 509-11 “Overdenture locator attachments for atrophic mandible.
- Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery. Dec 2013 published online. “The posterosuperiorly based platysmal myocutaneous flap – the underutilized reconstructive option”
- Journal of Indian Academy Oral Med Radiology 2015; 27: 449-52. Destructive radiolucent lesion involving the right maxillary sinus: Report of a rare case
- Craniomaxillofacial trauma – fractures and injuries of frontal bone (forehead region), orbital (eye socket), mandible (lower jaw), maxilla (upper jaw), zygoma (cheek bone); cosmetic closure of facial lacerations
- Oral and Facial cancers (tongue, mouth, eye, nose, salivary gland cancers). Radical surgery with microvascular reconstruction
- Simple to advanced oral implantology (sinus lifts, block bone grafting)
- Salivary gland pathology
- Cosmetic facial surgery (scar revision, mole removal, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty, face lift, facial implants)
- Temporomandibular gland pathology
- Cleft lip and palate surgery
- Orthognathic surgery
- Distraction osteogenesis
- Cyst and tumors of jaws and face